2009-09-24

Yawm al-Dar event




Question:
What is the tradition Of Yawm al-Dar about?
(Source)

Answer: According to Shi`ite `ulama and some of the noble men of Sunnis such as: Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Imam Tha`labi, Khawrazmi, Tabari, ibn Abi al-Hadid, ibn Athir, Hafiz Abu Na`im, Biyhaqi, Abulfida´, Halabi, Nisai, Hakim Abu `Abdullah and so on, when this verse was revealed “ And warn your nearest relations” [Quran 26,214] the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) invited forty of the Quraysh and of his relatives to the house of his dear uncle, Abutalib. After eating, the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) stood up among them. After a few preliminary remarks he said: “O children of Abdulmutalib! The Exalted God has sent me as a messenger to the whole of creation in general and to you in particular, and I invite you to make two statements which are light and easy for the tongue but on the scale of action they are heavy and if you make the two statements you will be master of the lands of Arabs and non-Arabs and they will become obedient to you and you will have the authority over all the nations. If you make the two statements you will go to Paradise and will be saved from the hell. These two expressions are: first to bear witness to the unity of God and second to bear witness to my prophecy. So, whoever answers my call (that is the first one who answers my call) and assists me in my mission, he will be my brother, my vizier, my heir and my successor after me. He repeated the last statement three times and each time just Ali answered his call, saying: “O the Messenger of Allah! I will assist you.” Then His Highness promised him the caliphate and said: “this Ali is my legatee and Caliph among you.”



________________________________________


HADITH OF INVITATION TO RELATIVES
AND THE PROPHET'S APPOINTING
ALI AS HIS SUCCESSOR

(from "Peshawar Nights")
(Source)

Of all the hadith concerning the vicegerency of Ali, the hadith of Invitation is the most important. On the day the Prophet proclaimed his prophethood, he also proclaimed that Ali was his successor. The ulema of your sect, including Imam Ahmad Bin Hanbal, Muwaffaq Bin Ahmad Khawarizmi, Abu Ja'far Muhammad Bin Jarir Tabari, Ibn Abi'l-Hadid Mu'tazali and a host of others have reported that when verse 214 of the Chapter Shu'ara: "And warn your nearest relations," (26:214) was revealed, the Prophet invited forty of the Quraish, to Abu Talib's house. He put before them a leg of goat, some bread, and a cup of milk. They laughed and said: "O Muhammad! you have not served enough food for even one man." The holy Prophet said: "Begin eating in the name of Allah." When they had eaten and were fully satisfied, they said to each other: "Muhammad has bewitched you with this food." The Prophet stood up among them and said: "O descendants of Abdu'l-Muttalib! Allah Almighty has sent me as a messenger to the whole of creation in general and to you in particular. I invite you to make two statements which are light and easy for the tongue, but on the scale of action they are heavy. If you make the two statements, you will be masters of the lands of the Arabs and the non-Arabs. Through them you will go to Paradise and will obtain immunity from Hell. These two expressions are: first, to bear witness to Allah's Oneness, and second, to bear witness to my prophethood. The one who first of all acknowledges my call and helps me in my mission is my brother, my helper, my heir, and my successor after me."

The Prophet repeated the last sentence three times, and each time none except Ali responded to him, saying, "I will aid and help you, O Prophet of Allah!" So the Prophet declared: "This Ali is my brother, and he is my successor and Caliph among you."


CONFIRMATION BY SUNNI ULEMA
AND BY EUROPEAN WRITERS

Besides the Shia and Sunni ulema of Islam, many impartial historians of other nations have given the details of this feast. They had no religious bias, being neither Shias nor Sunnis. One of these writers is the nineteenth-century British historian and philosopher, Thomas Carlyle. In his "Heroes and Hero-worship" he described the details of the feast at Abu Talib's house. After the Prophet's statements, Ali stood and proclaimed his faith in the Prophet. Therefore, the caliphate was bestowed on him. Other European writers have confirmed this fact, including George Sale of England and Hashim, a Christian of Syria, in his Maqalatu'l-Islam, and Mr. John Davenport in his Muhammad and the Qur'an. All agree that the Prophet, immediately after the proclamation of his prophethood, called Ali his brother, helper, successor, and Caliph. Moreover, several hadith confirm that the Prophet emphasized this fact on many other occasions.


__________________________________________



Yawm al-Dar tradition


A huge number of Sunni hadithists have recorded this hadith:


إنّ هذا أخي ووصيّي وخليفتي فيكم ، فاسمعوا له وأطيعوا
Verily, this (Ali) is my brother, Wasi and successor among you. Listen to him and obey him.

Such as:
Imam Ahmad in his Musnad, Vol. 1, p. 111, No. 885, Imam Nisai in his Sunan, Vol. 6, p. 248 and a host of others.

Imam al-Haythami, in his Majma al-Zawaid, Vol. 8, p. 302 has copied it, adding:

رواه أحمد ورجاله ثقات
Ahmad has narrated it and his narrators are thiqah.

On the next page, he has recorded it again from Ahmad and Bazzar, adding this comment:

رجال أحمد وأحد إسنادي البزّار رجال الصحيح غير شريك وهو ثقة
The narrators of Ahmad and one of the chains of Bazzar are narrators of sahih except Sharik and he is thiqah.

Surprisingly, Albani in his As-Silsilah Ad-Da'ifah , No. 4932 has declared the hadith weak on the basis of a narrator in one of its chains, Abd Al-Ghaffar bin Al-Qasem. However, as I have shown, the hadith actually has other chains, which are sahih!

Here is one more sahih chain:

“Al-Fadl bin Sahl- Afan bin Muslim- Abu Awana- Uthman bin al-Mughira- Abi Sadeq- Rabeea bin Najed narrated that a man came to Ali and said: Oh commander of believers, why only you inherited your cousin without your uncle? He (Ali) replied: The messenger of Allah invited the children of Abdulmutalib and he cooked for them food, they ate till they get fulfilled and the food remained as if no one had touched it, then he (the prophet) brought water and all of them drank from it, but the water remained as if no one had touched it or drank from it.
Then he (the prophet) said: ‘Oh children of Abdulmutalib, I have been sent to you specially and to the people in general, and you saw the sign of that, therefore who among you give baya to be my brother, my companion, my inheritor and my minister.’

No one responded for that, hence I responded and I was the youngest among them, he (the prophet) said: ‘Sit down’ for three times. I responded and He say ‘Sit down’, till the third time he clapped by his hand on my thigh and said: ‘You are my brother, companion, inheritor and minister’. Hence I inherited my cousin without my uncle.”
Khasais by Imam Nesai, page 85

al-Fadal bin Sahl: Ibn Hajar said: ‘Seduq’ (Taqrib al-Tahdib, v2, p11).
Afan bin Muslim: Ibn Hajar said: ‘Thiqah Thabt’ (Taqrib al-Tahdib, v1, p679).
Abu Awana: Ibn Hajar said: ‘Thiqah Thabt’ (Taqrib al-Tahdib, v2, p282).
Uthman bin al-Mughira: Ibn Hajar said: ‘Thiqah’ (Taqrib al-Tahdib, v1, p665).
Abu Sadeq al-Azdi: Ibn Hajar said: ‘Seduq’ (Taqrib al-tahdib, v2, p417).
Rabeea bin Najed: Ibn Hajar said: ‘Thiqah’ (Taqrib al-Tahdib, v1, p298).